Christchurch Convention Centre Precinct Advanced BIM
The Christchurch Convention Centre Precinct will play a vital role in revitalising the city of Christchurch.
The Christchurch Convention Centre Precinct includes a 1,400-delegate auditorium, a banquet hall, an exhibition hall and 14 meeting rooms overlooking Victoria Square. The complex will play a vital role in revitalising the city of Christchurch. WMT is engaged as the Project BIM Manager, with the primary responsibility of ensuring BIM use goals and aspirations as set out in the BIM brief are met throughout the design and construction phases.
This is a multi-faceted project with a large client body and stakeholder group. The project featured heavy early contractor involvement (ECI). This is allowing contractors to engage with the BIM framework and understand the building in 3D well ahead of contractual engagement.
Our role includes:
- Implementing collaboration and coordination systems and processes
- Facilitating the alignment of consultants
- Improved coordination and enhanced coordination tracking
- High-quality stakeholder engagement, with the BIM framework allowing virtual reality walk-throughs of the digital prototype
- Advising on use of BIM to unlock significant design efficiencies, including mitigation of seismic risk.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
As Project BIM Manager, our responsibility during the design phases was to facilitate the BIM use goals of the project including:
- Developing the BEP to meet the BIM use goals of the project
- Workshopping the BEP with project participants
- Facilitating the use of the BEP by all project participants
- Auditing the models received from project participants
- Communicating issues back to project participants
- Facilitating data transfer
- Coordinating validation of federated models
- Clash detection and determining coordination issue severity
- Preparing and circulating coordination/BIM reports
- Chairing design model management and coordination meetings
- Coordinating the integration of AM/FM data