Lincoln University + AgResearch Joint Facility Advanced BIM
Unlocking significant design efficiencies, including mitigation of seismic risk in a highly complex scientific services building.
The Lincoln Hub is a 60,000m2 facility located at Lincoln University. It brings together four Crown Research Institutes, a University and many commercial research organisations into a single combined facility which will be the centre of agricultural science in New Zealand.
The hub will operate a united entity containing six science clusters and over 1,200 scientists.
Warren and Mahoney Technologies was engaged as Project BIM Manager, with the primary responsibility of ensuring that the BIM use goals and aspirations as set out in the project BIM brief were met throughout the design and construction phases.
This highly complex scientific services building is the first of its type in the southern hemisphere. The project required integration of new-build facilities with others in the surrounding campus, and involves large client and stakeholder groups.
Our role includes:
- Implementing collaboration and coordination systems and processes
- Facilitating the alignment of consultants
- Improved coordination and enhanced coordination tracking
- High-quality stakeholder engagement, with the BIM framework allowing virtual reality walk-throughs of the digital prototype
- Advising on use of BIM to unlock significant design efficiencies, including mitigation of seismic risk.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
As Project BIM Manager, WMT's responsibility during the design phases was to facilitate the BIM use goals of the project including:
- Developing the BEP to meet the BIM use goals of the project
- Workshopping the BEP with project participants
- Facilitating the use of the BEP by all project participants
- Auditing the models received from project participants
- Communicating issues back to project participants
- Facilitating data transfer
- Coordinating validation of federated models
- Clash detection and determining coordination issue severity
- Preparing and circulating coordination/BIM reports
- Chairing design model management and coordination meetings
- Coordinating the integration of AM/FM data